Nsfas rejects more than 53 000 applications
More than 50 000 students who have applied for funding with NSFAS students have been rejected. Students were encouraged earlier this year to apply again when a new window was opened for those that had missed it last year.
About 300 000 students have, however, received funding for their studies this year. The scheme is said to have received almost 162 000 funding applications from prospective university and TVET college students.
Nsfas board chair Sizwe Nxasana said just more than 53 000 applications have been turned down.
“Unsuccessful students can lodge an appeal by downloading an application form on the Nsfas website, and after they have completed it they can then, together with their recommendations email this to our peers at NSFAS.org.za,” he added
Higher Education and Training Minister Blade Nzimande has announced a R15-billion budget for Nsfas for this year. This has offered no comfort for all those who cannot attend university this year.
Students have received SMSs from the financial aid scheme encouraging them to apply for TVET colleges instead of universities, saying perhaps their applications for funding would be reconsidered.
Twitter was set alight with angered students voicing their dismay
Getting your NSFAS application rejected even though your parents don't work.
And then you watch other kids who live in happy homes enjoy it.
— TweetGuru (@JustKholii_) February 20, 2017
Please HELP Im a 3rd year Wits Engineering student about to be financially excluded. my #NSFAS application wasn't successful.plz retweet
— Sbonelo Khumalo @NPG (@S_khumalo5) February 18, 2017
— Uncaptured Soul ✋ (@_Paledi) February 20, 2017
— Mamqiti, uNdinga (@AfriquaSandy) February 10, 2017
Nsfas chairperson Sizwe Nxasana said many of the rejected applications were from students who did not understand the ministe’s announcement on the ‘missing middle’ and those disqualified because they had taken longer to finish their qualifications.
He explained that many students misinterpreted Nzimande’s decision that the department of education would subsidise fee increment for students whose families earned between R120 000 and R600 000 a year.
Appeals must reach the Nsfas office by the last day of the month. Nsfas said these applicants had until the end of February to appeal.
(Featured Image: Instagram)
Also on Connect: